Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Day 2: Taking a minute to say THANK YOU

The United States is clearly the most well-equipped military operation anywhere in the world.  While this is certainly obvious to us all, to see it firsthand makes me very proud.  What has impressed me the most so far is not the equipment, or the planes, or the weapons ... but instead the makeup of the men and women in uniform. 

I think we all take for granted sometimes what these folks do on our behalf.  Not only are they in harm’s way at any moment, but they embrace it and are eager to defend.  Their warm smiles and friendly greetings are constant.  They all continue to thank us for being on this trip and what we're doing for them.  It's amazing that they feel the need to thank us.  As if we've done anything near what they have and continue to do.  Members of our class have talked privately about how impressed we are by this, and so in my remarks this morning I had a chance to return the favor. I told our military members that they are the ones who deserve the thanks, and that we are grateful for what they do. 

The other striking thing to me is the age of many of them.  I would say that between half and 75% of those active members we've met so far are under the age of 25.  Many of them already have been deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan multiple times.  Many of them, too, have families with young children. It's remarkable the sacrifice that these families make in order to be members of our military.  I mentioned in my first entry how I'll miss seeing my son, Cooper, this week.  And while I certainly have, this trip has put things into perspective.  I won't see him for one week, but these service members leave their kids for months and months at a time - sometimes years.  To hear their personal stories and sacrifices makes you realize just how lucky you are. 

The members of our military are special in every way.  If you know an active duty member or a veteran, take some time during your busy day to tell them thanks.  It will go a long way.

- MLR