Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Day 3: "Marines Day" In Review

I hate to sound like a broken record, but today was another wonderful day!

Let me start off by saying that the Marines are a special and talented group.  I'd catorigize them as just a little bit different (in a good way) than the other services we have visited thus far.  A little more direct and in your face than the others.  No let me take that back, A LOT more direct and in your face!  

After we sleepily boarded the bus at 5:15 a.m., we left our hotel for Parris Island. As we pulled thru the gates, a drill sergeant greeted us by jumping aboard and yelling so loudly that we couldn't understand a word that he screamed.  We all frantically attempted to respond, but our actions seemingly made him more irritated and louder.  After a few minutes of trying to respond in an acceptable way, our group finally caught on that every time he spoke we were to reply: "Aye, Sir."  No matter what he said, unless it was a direct question, we were to respond "Aye, Sir."  If we failed to do so, we were met with a loud "I DIDN'T HEAR YOU.  I SAY SIT.  YOU SAY AYE SIR.  GOT IT?"  "Aye sir" we then proudly shouted as if we were catching on.  Not realizing he actually asked a question, to which the correct response would have been "Yes, Sir" the Sergeant once again quickly corrected us. This went on and on and on.  I kid you not, I must have yelled "Aye, Sir" 500+ times from that point on.  

Our arrival, and the way we were treated, was exactly what a Marine recruit encounters when they arrive at Parris Island.  Our day was designed to give us a flavor of what a Marine boot camp is like.  We exited the bus and lined up the infamous yellow footprints.  Every Marine that enters the force has stood on those footprints when they started.  We then moved inside where the process of enlisting begins.  It includes: 

  • the removal of all contraband
  • a strip search 
  • various tests
  • a 20 second phone call to only one person to let them know that you arrived safely 
  • the "20 second haircut" -  This process normally takes place for a recruit class at 0200, or 2 o'clock in the morning.  

This is day one of their 12-week boot camp.   The attrition rate for males is on average 10%, for females 16%.  The grueling program includes what the drill sergeant described as three phases.  Each phase has a specific and intended purpose.  Phase 1 "breaks them down" - Phase 2 "begins to build them up" - Phase 3 "takes them under our wing." 

As our day progressed, our drill sergeant simulated this by changing his behavior accordingly. By the end of our day, the screaming maniac that greeted us at 5:30 a.m. was smiling and happily answering our questions.  He explained that he simply wanted us to get a feel for how a recruit was handled through his/her 12-week training.  

Trust me Sergeant, we got the point!  The program is crafted in a way that instills the Marine Corps three core values : 1. honor, 2. courage and 3. commitment.  The three months are filled with early mornings and numerous measurable goals that must be met.  The training culminates with the main event: The Crucible.  Read this carefully and imagine going through this yourself. My written words will not do it justice.  In fact, we watched a video that attempted to capture the difficultly of the task.  However, it too fell short in my opinion.  Consider the following:

  • The Crucible lasts for 54 hours straight
  • Over those 54 hours, the recruits travel 38 miles by foot
  • They are given only 8 hours of sleep (4 each night)
  • They get 3 ready-to-eat meals (not very good)
  • They have 8 major events along their journey and travel through 28 individual stations
  • It is a continuous physical and mental challenge
Absolutely unreal.  Even at the height of my athletic days, I could have never even imagined attempting this let alone believing I could complete it.  After they complete this last and final journey, they receive the coveted Eagle, Globe & Anchor.  This signals that they are ready for graduation.  The impressive gathering of men and women in the Marines is a comforting feeling.  Knowing that so many dedicated people are there to defend us and protect this country's freedom is awesome!  

Throughout the course of the day, we got to experience some of the obstacles and exercises that Marines regularly participate in.  I chose to do a few, including jumping a wall.  I also chose to do the most dangerous one - a repel from the 47-foot-high USMC tower!  I'll admit that it was scary, but I did it and I even have the video to prove it.

All in all, it was again a wonderful day.  Another 5 a.m. wakeup call tomorrow and then straight to the airplane to takeoff for "Army Day." I know I promised to describe our class, but sorry you're going to have to wait.  I'm exhausted and these posts keep getting longer as the days become more and more interesting.  

I'll talk to you tomorrow!

- MLR 


Preparing to fire an M-16


A few other things:


I met another proud Pittsburgher today at Parris Island.  Sergeant Tye Bogart was one of our group leaders today.  He was born in Pittsburgh in 1985.  He then lived in Beaver County until the age of 10.  Thank you for you service.  
Me with Sergeant Tye Bogart
Speaking of service, I want to also take a quick minute to shout out a good family friend who is a former Marine -  Mr. Tom Pace.  I spoke with him today via text about how impressed I am with the Marines.  I also joked that I couldn't believe he made it through boot camp!  In all seriousness, thanks Tom for your service to our Country.  Tom served from 2004-2008 as an active duty infantryman.  He was deployed twice overseas - once for 6 months to Afghanistan in 2006, and again in 2007 for 7 months in Iraq.  I'm happy to report that Tom is now back living in our wonderful City of Pittsburgh!  Hoorah!

Oh, and one last thing... Congratulations to my brother Adam who won his election last night for the 20th Legislative District.  Well deserved!  I was sorry I couldn't be there to celebrate.